Metropolis Review

Even though I stated all of my hobbies and interests, one of my favorite things to do is to write movie reviews. No matter how amazing or terrible the movie is, I love giving my opinion on films. I also love reading them because I enjoy seeing how other people interpret the movies.

Anyways, here is my review of the 1927 classic film, Metropolis:

Even if you never watch the movie in its entirety, you probably have seen clips or photos of Metropolis. Despite this movie coming out almost 100 years ago, it is considered one of the most influential films to ever come out. 

One thing that instantly popped out to me was some of the shots that looked like they could have been done today. The way they did the transformation of Maria into a robot is extremely impressive. 

Besides all of the impressive editing and directing, the movie appeared to be filled with symbolism. This is done by combining religious references and technology. This is emphasized by having the Tower of Babel as the vocal point of the movie. The Tower of Babel is a story in the Bible where God punishes the people by dividing them into different languages. In the movie, it is not languages that separate them, but social class and status. 

I also thought the movie began to become really creepy and suspenseful towards the end. I remember being on the edge of my seat when the mad scientist was chasing after Maria and the robot was being burned at the stake. I also felt this when the city was flooding and they couldn't find a way to escape. I remember thinking how impressive this movie was in doing this because of how old it is. 

Overall, this movie was really interesting and had me on the edge of my seat. Although it took me a while to get into it, I was very entertained by an almost 100-year-old movie.

Notes while watching it:
____________________________________________________________________________________

Religious symbolism within science fiction

Maybe some kind of propaganda?

1920s era 

Glowing savior (Maria)

  • The children are in dark clothing and Maria is in a bright outfit that outshines the children

  • She lives below but dresses differently than the others (Jesus was just like the normal people, but he always made his stance known)

  • The actress who plays Maria also plays the robot 

Clothing 

“Hel” name of the wife; the mad scientist is making the robot into the wife 

The rich lives above (heaven)

The poor live below (hell)

The poor work to get the rich richer

Technology is some kind of demon (upside pentagram)

Crosses show when the main dude sees maria 

The Tower of Babel (a part of Genesis)

  • Punishing the people who went against God by making them speak different languages

  • The main character's father owns the tower of babel

    • He is dividing the people in the class 

The machine turned into some kind of monster

  • It consumed the people who live below for the “greater good”


I think the man guy became a form of Jesus to these people


Villian: The dude’s father


Maria: God


Freder: someone who God spoke too


Villan ask to make the robot like Maria

  • Someone making an idol of God 


The people who go with the villain will probably have something happen to them

  • Like the Tower of Babel (a division of people by language


Maria is taken by the mad scientist and maybe some kind of a robot


Pentagram on the door of the mad scientist


The ending reminds me of Hunchback of Notre dame




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Death, and Robots Response

About me!