Star Trek

Star Trek is one of the most celebrated and loved Sci-Fi franchises of all time. The franchise has been

going on for many decades and has not stopped since then. Currently, they are making another reboot show and are even in talks about making another movie.

Star Trek is a franchise that I grew up on because of my dad. My dad has loved Star Trek since I could remember. I always remember times when my dad and I would sit down and watch Star Trek together. The one we mainly watched together was the Next Generation with Captain Picard. I always loved watching it with him, even when my dad might fall asleep watching it. I even watched the movies with him in theaters and seeing Into Darkness was such a cool experience with him. I texted him about watching it in class and said back to me: "I wish I was there so we can watch it together." 

Ok, let's not get too sappy and talk about the impact of the show

The show was a huge deal when it came out in 1966. One of the biggest things about the show that made it different was how diverse the cast and crew were. Nyota was a black communications officer in the show and her character broke barriers for television. At the time, black actresses mostly played lesser parts, like servants or minor characters. Having a character like Nyota in a high position at the time was huge. They also had a character named Sulu, who was played by a Japanese-American actor who lived in U.S.-runned internment camps during World War II. There was also the character of Chekov, a Russian navigator in the show. Around the time the original series came out, Russia was the Soviet Union, communism was on the rise, and in the middle of the Cold War. So many of the crew members broke barriers while the show aired in the 1960s. 

Women in the show had high roles on the ship. Not only was this shown in the character of Nyota, but other characters like Janice and Christine. Around this time, the idea of the American Dream, aka working husband and stay-at-home wives, was kind of fading away. It was still prevalent, but the idea of working women and wives was starting to become more normalized. The characters of Star Trek promotes this idea and breaks barriers of gender roles and stereotypes. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Death, and Robots Response

About me!

Metropolis Review